LaB (PhB, Jazz Attack, Bal Night, and other affiliated dances) strives to create a space that is safe, welcoming, and inclusive for everyone, regardless of age, race, gender, sexuality, ability, experience, background, or other identifying features. By attending our event, you are agreeing to help make that happen. Here’s how:
- Celebrate the diversity of skills and styles in this community! Consider asking new dancers, experienced dancers, and dancers you don’t know to dance. When you ask someone to dance, let them know if you’re wanting to Lead, Follow, or Switch, or ask their preference.
- It’s OK to say “No” to a dance, or any activity, without offering an explanation.
- It’s OK if someone says “No” to you. Celebrate people taking care of themselves.
- Offer feedback ONLY if you’ve been explicitly asked to do so by your partner, or you are feeling uncomfortable/ unsafe in the dance.
- LaB is an environment for the celebration, practice, and development of American vernacular jazz dances and music. Understand that other styles of dance come with a different set of partnering agreements and aesthetics that may not be appropriate for LaB events.
- Understand that certain activities require consent. Make sure you have consent before dancing with someone, changing your embrace, sharing weight (dips,etc), cuddling, photographing them, or initiating explicit conversations.
- Any explicit disrespect or disregard of enthusiastic consent will not be tolerated at LaB and associated events.
- Do not perform aerials on the social dancefloor.
- LaB hosts drug-free events. Please don’t bring those items into the space. Each venue has a different policy on alcohol- please respect those policies. Anyone who is visibly intoxicated will be asked to leave the space regardless of venue policy.
- Do not bring firearms or other weapons into this space.
- Keep an eye out for each other- let an organizer or volunteer know if you see any behavior going down at LaB that doesn’t seem awesome.
- LaB does not tolerate any form of harassment**. Inappropriate behavior or harassment that occurs between members of our community outside of our dance events may also be cause for suspension or expulsion from LaB events. With that, it is important to understand differences between harassment and personal issues, and that we cannot get involved in interpersonal issues and feuds.
Report any safe space incidents or concerns!